Lamb Stew with Prunes
Contributor: Crystal “Pikko” Watanabe
- 3 lbs lamb meat, cubed
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cans beef broth
- 1 cup tomato pulp or 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves snipped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 16-18 pearl onions, peeled and halved
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 handful dried plums cut in half
- Heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Heat oil in a skillet and brown lamb meat. Transfer to dutch oven as pieces cook.
- Sprinkle sugar on browned meat. Cook meat for several minutes on medium high heat to caramelize sugar.
- Toss meat with flour until well coated. Place pot in oven uncovered for 5 minutes. Toss meat around and cook for another 5 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Add 1 1/2 cans of beef broth, tomato pulp, and rosemary. Cover and cook on bottom third of the oven for 1 hour.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Add carrots, onions, and potatoes and more broth if needed.
- Cover and return pot to oven for another hour. After 30 minutes, add dried plums. Once done, taste and season as needed.
- On the stovetop, boil peas for 1-2 minutes. Drain and add to stew just before serving.
- Serve on wild rice. Eat by the bucketful.
About the Author: